Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Ages You? 01:04 - Oct 10 with 15727 viewsade_qpr

One perhaps for the slightly older than a teenager among us.
Got to thinking after the Lennon thread what makes you think about your age or changes in your life that make you stop and think of how your life has changed? (53 now)

Being in Australia some of my examples wouldn't resonate to many eg buildings torn down or 2 companies I have worked for no longer exist.
Like Lennon many entertainers have passed away ie music (B.B. King) , tv (George Cole) , films ( Leonard Nimoy) or even seeing old movies, tv shows, music heard or books read that may spark old memories.
Technology is another big one. I still have a lot of cassettes I use to play in my dad's old car that I brought from the estate til the player recently died. Yes some records then cd's and now downloads of music. Old red telephone boxes here in Oz now onto Mobile phones (my first was a brick back in the 90's that I won from a radio station) TV's to computer games (did laugh when I saw Pixels with all the old arcade games)
Transport - the types of cars people have had over the years (had a panel van back in the 80/90's and still wish I had it, drive in theatres anyone? )
Sporting teams that no longer exist?
I'm certain there are many more examples others will have.
Happy reminiscing.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

What Ages You? on 11:06 - Oct 11 with 3628 viewsloftboy

Also 3 channels on a black and white tv and now house phone until I was about 7, driving in my dads Austin A35, my dad paying over a grand for one of the first VCR's with buttons like diving boards on the front. Getting a black and white portable for the bedroom and twisting the aerial on top to try and get rid of the snow.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What Ages You? on 13:59 - Oct 11 with 3558 viewsDiscodroids

What ages me

1. I feel like The David Bowie Character in ' The Hunger ' whenever i witness Karl Henry, Armand Traore or James Perch in blue and white hoops.this ages me.

2. Constantly worrying that some Hollywood cnt/Hipster/Guy richie/Nick love type will remake 'Marathon Man', Al pacino's 'Crusing' or Mick Jaggers 'Performance' with leo de caprio or Tom hardy in it . this ages me.

3. The effects of alcohol on my broken body.

in the 90's and naughties i could simply imbibe vast quantities of drugs booze and sex and only suffer a succession of minor stokes upon my person.

in my pomp i always behaved like a true english gentleman , Never asked for help , even when I collapsed outside of lloyds of london with Ching intoxication.

Standards must be maintained , and i merely waved away offers of help as i lay on the steps with my chest being crushed and the left side of my head on fire like johnny storm.
I remember some c unt offering me a rennie, as i lay dying , my heart vibrating the concrete... i told the c unt " ive been on the fu cking tap for three fu cking days and i cant move my fackin arms or legs". ..Rennie!!.. i fackin ask ya!.

these days i feellike the lead singer of 'the Sweet', after a bottle of newcastle brown.
I make Micky finn from T rex look healthy after a pale ale.

the lord giveth and the omnipotent fu ker has certainly taketh away .

4. i also watch corination street on a regular basis these days , for the first time since len fairclough s days in the shallow end of his local swimming baths. this ages me.

5. x factor , i just hate young people with ambition and want them wiped off the face of the fackin earth. These weeping sycophants have no place in society and i'll happily pull the rope on these fu ckers given half the chance. this ages me.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2015 14:04]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

What Ages You? on 21:58 - Oct 11 with 3469 viewsDorse

A lot to learn. Hope this helps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34454576

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What Ages You? on 03:44 - Oct 12 with 3438 viewsFredManRave

What ages me? Without any doubt, in first, last and middle place is my kids. I'm 44 (yes I do realise I don't post like a 44 year old) and became a Dad late in life at 36. So now I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old. On the one hand they keep me young but also, they don't half age me, especially the older one. But as Punter "The Wise One" R said I wouldn't change having kids for anything, they are more than worth all the stress and other trials (yet to come presumably) and tribulations that they "offer".

There's nothing else that really ages me. In fact I actually feel good for a 44 year old...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

What Ages You? on 10:16 - Oct 12 with 3399 viewsderbyhoop

I'm 62 and I end up going to more funerals than weddings.

You Only Live Once (YOLO) so you might as well make the most of it, rather than living in the past. The past is just a reference point on a journey through life. Keep learning, keep experiencing new things, try to adopt the new technology even if you don't fully understand it. Don't get stuck in a rut. Too many of our friends think everything decent, especially musically, stopped about 1980.

I've just booked ticket to go see Foals and Everything, Everything in Manchester, next February. I'll probably be one of the oldest there but so what.

But what really ages me is everytime I go to see Rangers and they make silly mistakes and lose games they should win comfortably. Turning grey and pulling my hair out is the consequence.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What Ages You? on 10:25 - Oct 12 with 3389 viewsTheBlob

Rap 'n Rhyme.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

What Ages You? on 11:02 - Oct 12 with 3366 views2Thomas2Bowles

I sometimes think about Global warming and the environment and the younger generations then I read this and thought.. feckum.. doing far more damage than I did.

Yesterday after shopping in our local supermarket, I was in the queue at the Check Out, and heard when the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.
The woman apologised to the young girl & then sighed, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. You folk didn't do enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said "Ahh yes you're right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day." She sighed then continued:
Back then, we returned milk bottles, lemonade bottles & beer bottles to the shops. The shops then sent them back to the plant to be washed, sterilized & refilled, so those same bottles were used over & over, thus REALLY were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Grocery stores put our groceries into brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) were not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalise our books on their brown paper bag/covers. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
I remember how we walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store or office building; walked to the grocery store & didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go 200 yards.
. . . But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
Back then we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind & solar power really did dry our clothes back in our days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. . . . But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And if anyone did own a TV, it had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of a football pitch. When cooking we blended & stirred by hand coz we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send by post, we used layers of old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity., , , , But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a tap or fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, & we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then. Back then, people took the bus & kids rode bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's expensive car or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing"..
Oh and we had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest leisure park.
. . . . But it so sad this current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then? . . . I think you should forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from some smart ass young person. .. ...
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart ass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

What Ages You? on 11:38 - Oct 12 with 3344 viewsBluce_Ree

I'm 41 this week and I train muay thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with a bunch of twenty-something killers. I feel ridiculously old.

When some c**t says 'hey Appetite For Destruction came out [some ungodly amount of] years ago' or something like that.

Celebs dying. Celebs are rich, famous and can get the best dieticians and health care in the world. If they can get old and look like shit, what hope for us?

Youngsters who can have a conversation with you but have no idea about 9/11 and think it may as well be the Vietnam war or something.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

What Ages You? on 11:41 - Oct 12 with 3345 viewsfrancisbowles

What Ages You? on 11:02 - Oct 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I sometimes think about Global warming and the environment and the younger generations then I read this and thought.. feckum.. doing far more damage than I did.

Yesterday after shopping in our local supermarket, I was in the queue at the Check Out, and heard when the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.
The woman apologised to the young girl & then sighed, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. You folk didn't do enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said "Ahh yes you're right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day." She sighed then continued:
Back then, we returned milk bottles, lemonade bottles & beer bottles to the shops. The shops then sent them back to the plant to be washed, sterilized & refilled, so those same bottles were used over & over, thus REALLY were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Grocery stores put our groceries into brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) were not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalise our books on their brown paper bag/covers. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
I remember how we walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store or office building; walked to the grocery store & didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go 200 yards.
Back then we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind & solar power really did dry our clothes back in our days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. . . . But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And if anyone did own a TV, it had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of a football pitch. When cooking we blended & stirred by hand coz we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send by post, we used layers of old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity., , , , But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a tap or fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, & we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then. Back then, people took the bus & kids rode bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's expensive car or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing"..
Oh and we had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest leisure park.
. . . . But it so sad this current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then? . . . I think you should forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from some smart ass young person. .. ...
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart ass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

Great post with much food for thought about how everything is so much better today!
What Ages You? on 11:56 - Oct 12 with 3329 views2Thomas2Bowles

I could add so much more to that, Sunday shopping for 1, waste of electric and fuel, 24/7 shopping, programs on the tv after midnight, electric fecking heaters on and on...

Bring back power cuts... that'll teach them .. I'm voting Labour
[Post edited 12 Oct 2015 11:56]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

What Ages You? on 12:13 - Oct 12 with 3311 viewsSINGINGDETECTIVE

What Ages You? on 12:50 - Oct 12 with 3283 viewsisawqpratwcity

That didn't really happen, did it.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

What Ages You? on 13:17 - Oct 12 with 3258 viewsTheBlob

What Ages You? on 12:50 - Oct 12 by isawqpratwcity

That didn't really happen, did it.

I'm afraid it did.
And we looked after people.We didn't stick sick and infirm elderly relatives in a disorientating care home to be ridiculed and abused for what remains of a pitifully short life.

What Ages You? on 13:24 - Oct 12 with 3247 viewsisawqpratwcity

What Ages You? on 13:17 - Oct 12 by TheBlob

I'm afraid it did.
And we looked after people.We didn't stick sick and infirm elderly relatives in a disorientating care home to be ridiculed and abused for what remains of a pitifully short life.

I meant 2T2B's anecdote.

What Ages You? on 13:28 - Oct 12 with 3238 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I'm afraid it did.

Yes we did. And we also let the famous and powerful have a crack at our kids too.
What Ages You? on 13:37 - Oct 12 with 3227 viewsTheBlob

What Ages You? on 13:28 - Oct 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yes we did. And we also let the famous and powerful have a crack at our kids too.

And it still goes on,another thing that we have not leaarned from history.

What Ages You? on 13:56 - Oct 12 with 3208 viewsbosh67

What Ages You? on 23:03 - Oct 10 by CiderwithRsie

Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles is aged 56.

This is her, aged 49

And at 51:

I had the honour of meeting her briefly at a gig about a year ago for a few minutes. Her real advantage is that she is about the same size as Kylie, so everything is absolutely still in the right place and still very pert. She was very nice, humble, sexy and polite... and very smily and engaging.

Sadly I can't think of anything she said to me as I was imagining f*cking her brains out in a hotel room while she was talking to me. Nice girl though.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What Ages You? on 15:55 - Oct 12 with 3166 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What Ages You? on 13:37 - Oct 12 by TheBlob

And it still goes on,another thing that we have not leaarned from history.

We are dealing with it better. The stigma is going and people are coming forward.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2015 15:56]
What Ages You? on 17:09 - Oct 12 with 3126 viewsMrSheen

I find myself pointing out to my kids where phone boxes used to be. Knowing where they were was once very useful.
What Ages You? on 19:56 - Oct 12 with 3084 viewsTheBlob

What Ages You? on 15:55 - Oct 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

We are dealing with it better. The stigma is going and people are coming forward.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2015 15:56]

Yes,not so much the stigma more the belief that those in "power" could be flawed.As one who was on the receiving end it's about bloody time - trouble is my abusers are all dead,would have liked to have a word with them........

What Ages You? on 20:16 - Oct 12 with 3066 viewsMonahoop

I aged considerably just reading that! But much of it is true. Reminiscing and I do quite a bit of that now I'm in my mid 50's, is a sure sign of ageing.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

What Ages You? on 22:03 - Oct 12 with 3013 viewsPunteR

What Ages You? on 03:44 - Oct 12 by FredManRave

What ages me? Without any doubt, in first, last and middle place is my kids. I'm 44 (yes I do realise I don't post like a 44 year old) and became a Dad late in life at 36. So now I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old. On the one hand they keep me young but also, they don't half age me, especially the older one. But as Punter "The Wise One" R said I wouldn't change having kids for anything, they are more than worth all the stress and other trials (yet to come presumably) and tribulations that they "offer".

There's nothing else that really ages me. In fact I actually feel good for a 44 year old...

I'm not sure having 3 kids was a very wise thing to do in hindsight. But then neither was double dropping doves at Peach in 96.
In for a penny in for a pound.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What Ages You? on 22:09 - Oct 12 with 3011 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'm afraid it did.

I'm afraid we did, Blob, but they were council owned Old Peoples Homes. Of course, there were fewer of them, as by and large more old people didn't get to live long enough to be infirm, they just died.

Not just old people either, plenty of people were diagnosed as "mentally sub-normal," including teenage girls whose sub-normality was that they were pregnant, and shoved into institutions which destroyed any hope they might have had of leading an independent life, and in which abuse (sexual and otherwise) was rife. Kincora Boys Home being probably the leading example.

I did a bit of work with people in a secure psychiatric wing back in the early 90s, helping with re-settlement. Things had got a lot better by then and there were real efforts to help people back into community life, but there were people who had gone into "care" in previous decades for whom clearly there was no longer any hope of rehabilitation.
What Ages You? on 22:17 - Oct 12 with 3007 viewsisawqpratwcity

What Ages You? on 19:56 - Oct 12 by TheBlob

Yes,not so much the stigma more the belief that those in "power" could be flawed.As one who was on the receiving end it's about bloody time - trouble is my abusers are all dead,would have liked to have a word with them........

Jeez, sorry to hear that, mate. I was once propositioned by a priest in my yoof. I could bang on about his, and the Church's, hypocrisy about celibacy but at least it was only an ask, and I was above age of consent and not under his control.

Whereas bastards that abuse kids in their care deserve their own special hell.

Onya, G.

What Ages You? on 22:27 - Oct 12 with 2996 viewsCiderwithRsie

What Ages You? on 13:56 - Oct 12 by bosh67

I had the honour of meeting her briefly at a gig about a year ago for a few minutes. Her real advantage is that she is about the same size as Kylie, so everything is absolutely still in the right place and still very pert. She was very nice, humble, sexy and polite... and very smily and engaging.

Sadly I can't think of anything she said to me as I was imagining f*cking her brains out in a hotel room while she was talking to me. Nice girl though.

You should have just sung this.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024