Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry Monk 13:41 - Sep 4 with 5778 viewsthejack1912

Do you consider him to be a Swansea City legend? Most supporters had forgotten about him before he was appointed interim gaffer. But since he's delivered the biggest derby win in 18 years, a first league win at old Trafford, a best league start in so many years. Captained the club for a long stretch, played in every division, lifted 2 trophies at Wembley and let's be honest got us playing some of the best football (so far) in a very long time.

Many also forget his flying block in the Play Off final at 3-2 when Long had an open goal to shoot at which would've completely changed the game IMO.

Sorry for the rant but Iv got a Cardiff fan who reckons he hasn't 'done' a lot in his time at the club

Poll: After making over 300 Apperences is Rangel a Swansea Legend?

Garry Monk on 13:47 - Sep 4 with 4506 viewsJackFish

If he isn't then I have no idea who is.
Garry Monk on 13:49 - Sep 4 with 4498 viewsicecoldjack

As a player yes, I thought he was a great captain and he improved his game in every division he played in, time caught him up inn the prem league but he deserves credit for being a great pro .

The flip side is that if he was outstanding as a player he would have left the swans years ago, same with players like Tate etc .
Garry Monk on 13:51 - Sep 4 with 4491 viewsSwanseajill

I'm sure they would change their minds about him not doing much if he had raised a flag with ....F off Cardiff printed on it.
Obviously they haven't watched that many of our games. He, as captain marshalled our defence for years with a foghorn voice.
An honest and hard working player.
What do those Bluebells know ......
Garry Monk on 14:09 - Sep 4 with 4452 viewsStarsky

To the OP.
He will always be remembered for the 90mill block
He is our greatest captain

It's just the internet, init.

Garry Monk on 14:31 - Sep 4 with 4401 viewsLiberty

Garry Monk on 13:47 - Sep 4 by JackFish

This

Its fair to say he meets all the criteria, and some.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Garry Monk on 14:42 - Sep 4 with 4371 viewsswanny

Garry Monk on 13:49 - Sep 4 by icecoldjack

As a player yes, I thought he was a great captain and he improved his game in every division he played in, time caught him up inn the prem league but he deserves credit for being a great pro .

The flip side is that if he was outstanding as a player he would have left the swans years ago, same with players like Tate etc .

I understand what you say about the 'flip side', but there were many 'better players' who did in fact leave and NOT do so well - maybe, just maybe the players who have stayed (Leon, Monk and Tate) appreciate what's going on here and that this is where they play their best football....apart from Leon's brainstorm under Sousa.

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

Garry Monk on 14:58 - Sep 4 with 4341 viewsPrivate_Partz

Garry Monk on 14:42 - Sep 4 by swanny

I understand what you say about the 'flip side', but there were many 'better players' who did in fact leave and NOT do so well - maybe, just maybe the players who have stayed (Leon, Monk and Tate) appreciate what's going on here and that this is where they play their best football....apart from Leon's brainstorm under Sousa.

Yes GM is a legend. Captained our club through one of its two most successful periods and has now gone on to manage the club.
A plate on the wall of fame is assured :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Garry Monk on 15:03 - Sep 4 with 4325 viewsScoobyWho

Garry Monk on 13:47 - Sep 4 by JackFish

Nobody ?

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Login to get fewer ads

Garry Monk on 15:12 - Sep 4 with 4298 viewsPegojack

His playing record makes him a legend in my eyes, but the harsh fact is, as a player if you hit bad form you just get dropped, whereas when the team hits bad form, the manager carries the can, no matter how much of a legend he is/was on the field.

Just playing devil's advocate here, and I think it's highly unlikely given the quality in our squad, but suppose the team had some injuries, suspensions, etc, and went off the rails. Lost ten games on the trot, say. Do you think legend status would save Garry from the heave-ho?
Garry Monk on 15:14 - Sep 4 with 4286 viewsMagicDaps

Any player whose captained a side in all four divisions has to be considered a legend.

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

Garry Monk on 15:20 - Sep 4 with 4271 viewsStarsky

Garry Monk on 15:14 - Sep 4 by MagicDaps

Any player whose captained a side in all four divisions has to be considered a legend.

He didnt

Garry Monk on 15:20 - Sep 4 with 4271 viewsPrivate_Partz

Garry Monk on 15:12 - Sep 4 by Pegojack

His playing record makes him a legend in my eyes, but the harsh fact is, as a player if you hit bad form you just get dropped, whereas when the team hits bad form, the manager carries the can, no matter how much of a legend he is/was on the field.

Just playing devil's advocate here, and I think it's highly unlikely given the quality in our squad, but suppose the team had some injuries, suspensions, etc, and went off the rails. Lost ten games on the trot, say. Do you think legend status would save Garry from the heave-ho?

No. He would get the sack or moved back to coaching. He would still be a legend IMHO. At the end of the day our legends are going to differ from a club like Man U for instance. It is likely their legends will have had more success in the game (for the time being anyway :-)). I am sure there are some Ragged School players or managers who are deemed legends by their peers. It is all about what is achieved and what one adds to the organisation I believe.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Garry Monk on 15:21 - Sep 4 with 4270 viewssully49

Garry Monk on 15:14 - Sep 4 by MagicDaps

Too right.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Garry Monk on 15:24 - Sep 4 with 4260 viewsScoobyWho

Garry Monk on 15:21 - Sep 4 by sully49

Too right.

He hasn't though.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Garry Monk on 15:26 - Sep 4 with 4255 viewsStarsky

Garry Monk on 15:24 - Sep 4 by ScoobyWho

He hasn't though.

I said it first...

Garry Monk on 15:27 - Sep 4 with 4250 viewspencoedjack

Ask your Cardiff mate what was their captains last touch for them this season, before he went off to better things at Huddersfield ?

Tell him his singing 'we're coming for you' on an open top bus ... didn't last as long as either.

Then tell him he's a tw@t.
Garry Monk on 15:37 - Sep 4 with 4225 viewsDrWig

Yes, with no reservations. The term is used too often but applies to GM and several others of our current players and staff. Of those who came between 1983 and the start of our rise under Flynn I would only consider Roger a true legend.

The only alternative to the spectacle is the spectacle of the alternative.

Garry Monk on 15:55 - Sep 4 with 4198 viewsicecoldjack

Garry Monk on 14:42 - Sep 4 by swanny

Maybe.

But if we think about the fact they are professional footballers they will always go for a better offer, its their job. If Tate was wanted by a premier leauge club when we were L2,L1 or Championship and offered him a massive wedge of cash he would be gone ,plain and simple, same with Monk and Leon, who as you rightly pointed out,snubbed the biggest contract in Swansea's History to play for that Bastian of passing football, Sheff. utd .

All for a couple of grand more.

Monk is a legend in what he achieved as a player, its a massive task to play through all divisions and improve professionally with each promotion, that takes some doing,same with britts and Tate.

Swansea city fc have been very good to these players, some of them getting contracts in the twilight of their career's that no other club wuld ever consider doing, they have done well for us, id argue we have have done even better for them.
Garry Monk on 16:01 - Sep 4 with 4177 viewsdobjack2

Yes. As we have progressed through the divisions rewards have increased so players have been rewarded for their work. For those with short memories curt went to Leeds when we were on the way up.
Garry Monk on 16:17 - Sep 4 with 4138 viewsshimmie

Garry Monk on 15:24 - Sep 4 by ScoobyWho

He hasn't though.

He might not have been club captain, but he's worn the arm band in all 4 divisions.
Garry Monk on 16:30 - Sep 4 with 4103 viewsMagicDaps

Garry Monk on 15:20 - Sep 4 by Starsky

He didnt

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/05/garry-monk-swansea-city-michael-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-25010078

Two of many article to make reference to him captaining us in all four divisions, I know Roberto was the skipper in 04/05 but I'm confident that Monk will have captained us in his and KOL's absence.

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

Garry Monk on 16:36 - Sep 4 with 4091 viewsmonmouth

"Legend (from the latin, Legenda...what?, well, someone had to), typically, is a short (mono-) episodic, traditional, highly ecotypified historicized narrative performed in a conversational mode, reflecting on a psychological level a symbolic representation of folk belief and collective experiences and serving as a reaffirmation of commonly held values of the group to whose tradition it belongs."

So, I don't think Garry is one of those, no*.

He is, however, a true JB, and that's as good as it gets.

*When we win the league and both cups this season, having won every game, his time as manager will, however, become legendary.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Garry Monk on 17:08 - Sep 4 with 4025 viewsJoshTheJack

Without doubt long serving player and captain.Always gave everything he could for this club and stepped in when he could see the life draining out of the club.As said before on this thread if he doesnt meet our critetia who does?
Garry Monk on 18:30 - Sep 4 with 3949 viewsQuakerJack

He was a legend when he made that block at Wembley.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Garry Monk on 18:42 - Sep 4 with 3922 viewsthomasJack

he is a legend and when he once stops as coach. the only true thing to do to raise a bronze stature of him in front clubben as inspiration for young new player

Poll: Next signing

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024