Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greenford 'mystery' building 21:27 - Jan 26 with 31608 viewsMarc

Travelling through Greenford today I passed by this building:

I've passed it on many occasions but never really given it much thought. For as long as I can remember it has been abandoned, just sitting there. Anyone have any info or background on it? What it might have been used for and when it was built?

The same spot also got me thinking about what used to be where the housing complex with the Lidl shop now is (behind the mystery building in the picture). I had a quick google and found this pic:

I have no recollection of that building (for me, going back to the early 90's). Again, anyone know anything about it?
Greenford 'mystery' building on 11:04 - Jan 27 with 9710 viewsrobith

Greenford 'mystery' building on 10:27 - Jan 27 by Sudbury_Hill_R

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/5820492075/

There you go.

But surely not as good as this one? Sponsors of the music on match days with an honourable mention in the match day programme.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/abaraphobia/6846079275/
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 10:42]

I mostly grew up Hillingdon/Uxbridge way - fascinating images. In many ways, the places hardly look like they've changed, except look closely and what's the one thing you can't see? Chain shops.

Also having recently gotten into vinyl (I like the physical element of an album, cds are so disposable now and digital only wasn't doing it for me, plus raiding my dad's incredible cupboard of records) I kinda miss having shops like that around. Like I have to trek all the way into Soho to go to Sister Ray and it's ace chatting to the staff about the upcoming releases and what I'm into - and I'm sure this was commonplace until I was like 19. Miss it
Greenford 'mystery' building on 11:06 - Jan 27 with 9697 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Greenford 'mystery' building on 10:27 - Jan 27 by Sudbury_Hill_R

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockcarpete/5820492075/

There you go.

But surely not as good as this one? Sponsors of the music on match days with an honourable mention in the match day programme.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/abaraphobia/6846079275/
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 10:42]

Wow, I was gone for half an hour looking at them!

Spent the 90s in The Red Lion, what a decade that was!
Greenford 'mystery' building on 11:07 - Jan 27 with 9697 viewsMrSheen

Greenford 'mystery' building on 09:24 - Jan 27 by robith

Mormons and Hare Krishnas are two odd groups to confuse!

The ladies with headscarves are the Plymouth Brethren
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 9:24]

Plymouth Brethren it is, thanks very much. Fascinating read on Wikipedia, one of their names is the Exclusive Brethren, which is how they appear. The people who gave us Dr Barnardo and Aleister Crowley.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 11:09]
Greenford 'mystery' building on 11:12 - Jan 27 with 9680 viewsheadhoops

its obvious what the top building is - lots of flooding around Greenford

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Greenford 'mystery' building on 11:26 - Jan 27 with 9649 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Read the first paragraph. I wonder...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/abaraphobia/8699508822/

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Greenford 'mystery' building on 11:38 - Jan 27 with 9641 viewsbigstevec

Greenford 'mystery' building on 08:27 - Jan 27 by PinnerRob

I drove in there the other day,being nosey& there was loads of them Mormon or hare chrisna types in there(not sure which) the woman all have long hair& wear head scarves over the top.

They are Plymouth Brethren I believe, I remember when it was built about 10 years ago.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 13:38 - Jan 27 with 9568 viewsR_from_afar

A resounding "Thank you!" to everyone who has posted on this thread. I had next to no interest in it initially but reading on, I have found it rather uplifting and a refreshing change from all the football related doom and gloom.

Hats off to you!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Greenford 'mystery' building on 14:02 - Jan 27 with 9552 viewsw7r

Regarding the bottom picture (Taylor Woodrow) prior to TW taking it over it was used by NCR (National Cash Registers) until around the mid/late 70's.

Good thread - love all this stuff!
Login to get fewer ads

Greenford 'mystery' building on 14:14 - Jan 27 with 9528 viewscraftyp

Greenford 'mystery' building on 11:12 - Jan 27 by headhoops

its obvious what the top building is - lots of flooding around Greenford

Nice one never thought of that . Does anyone else remember the flooding back in the 70s . You couldn't get down the ruislip rd , windmill lane used to cop it pretty bad , as did Greenford & cuckoo avenues
Greenford 'mystery' building on 14:16 - Jan 27 with 9522 viewsMaggsinho

Greenford 'mystery' building on 13:38 - Jan 27 by R_from_afar

A resounding "Thank you!" to everyone who has posted on this thread. I had next to no interest in it initially but reading on, I have found it rather uplifting and a refreshing change from all the football related doom and gloom.

Hats off to you!

RFA

Hear, hear! I don't think I've been to Greenford since about 1980 and I'm still finding this fascinating.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 14:33 - Jan 27 with 9512 viewsonlyrinmoray

Good thread for all Northolt & Greenford Rs.Sorry to hear the Litten has gone, often spent some good nights there (didn't they have a garden area ) with my then girlfriend now wife. She worked at Glaxos and they had a sports/ social club just up the road from the Litten on the Western Ave. Cheap drinks and snooker is all I can remember So much of the old Northolt and Greenford now gone Bengarth Road still looking good though last time I was there.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 14:43 - Jan 27 with 9501 viewsDWQPR

Greenford 'mystery' building on 14:14 - Jan 27 by craftyp

Nice one never thought of that . Does anyone else remember the flooding back in the 70s . You couldn't get down the ruislip rd , windmill lane used to cop it pretty bad , as did Greenford & cuckoo avenues

Remember the big flooding on the night that Elvis died. Costons Lane going towards the Brent was under about a foot of water, great riding through it on my bike.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Greenford 'mystery' building on 15:01 - Jan 27 with 9478 viewspaulparker

Greenford 'mystery' building on 14:33 - Jan 27 by onlyrinmoray

Good thread for all Northolt & Greenford Rs.Sorry to hear the Litten has gone, often spent some good nights there (didn't they have a garden area ) with my then girlfriend now wife. She worked at Glaxos and they had a sports/ social club just up the road from the Litten on the Western Ave. Cheap drinks and snooker is all I can remember So much of the old Northolt and Greenford now gone Bengarth Road still looking good though last time I was there.

Yeah the Litten was a great place to drink in the summer & bank holidays , many a good night spent in there back in the 90's
also spent a lot of my early youth with my Granddad & dad going to the British Legion across the road after rangers games, lovely times

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Greenford 'mystery' building on 16:18 - Jan 27 with 9429 viewsSonofNorfolt

There was a pub by there that was bombed out during the war, but up until a few years ago the sign was still there next to the Brent. I think it was called 'The Load of Hay'.
Not to be confused with the bonkers Rangers boozer by Northolt Station now sanitised into a Harvester or something similar.
Greenford 'mystery' building on 16:22 - Jan 27 with 9426 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Like most areas now, there are quiet a few pubs no longer open. A few more from the Greenford/Northolt/Sudbury area are:

The Lightening, Alperton Lane, currently disused site.
Oldfield Tavern, Greenford Road, Oscars nightclub attached, now flats
Red Lion, Greenford Broadway, now flats.
Sudbury Arms, Sudbury Heights Ave, now flats
Greenwood, Whitton Ave West, New intended use is a Wetherspoons, currently fenced off.

I'm sure there are plenty more to add to the list?
Greenford 'mystery' building on 16:31 - Jan 27 with 9612 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Shame the Red Lion has gone, not a bad pub, liked the beer garden.
Not as good as the Red Lion Ealing mind.

Mmmmmm Fuller's

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Greenford 'mystery' building on 16:33 - Jan 27 with 9609 viewspomanjou

Greenford 'mystery' building on 16:18 - Jan 27 by SonofNorfolt

There was a pub by there that was bombed out during the war, but up until a few years ago the sign was still there next to the Brent. I think it was called 'The Load of Hay'.
Not to be confused with the bonkers Rangers boozer by Northolt Station now sanitised into a Harvester or something similar.

"The load of Hay"...............Memories, Brian Auger and Oblivion Express. Memorable evening.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Greenford 'mystery' building on 16:39 - Jan 27 with 9587 viewsSonofNorfolt

Greenford 'mystery' building on 16:33 - Jan 27 by pomanjou

"The load of Hay"...............Memories, Brian Auger and Oblivion Express. Memorable evening.

Not as memeorable as the night that the bar staff were set alight
Greenford 'mystery' building on 17:04 - Jan 27 with 9562 viewsballbag

If the Black Horse goes, I'm jumping into the canal and not coming back.

Great pics by the way.

Also, what's with the horrific paint job on the Railway Tavern next to Greenford station?
Greenford 'mystery' building on 17:08 - Jan 27 with 9549 viewsSonofNorfolt

Greenford 'mystery' building on 17:04 - Jan 27 by ballbag

Great pics by the way.

Also, what's with the horrific paint job on the Railway Tavern next to Greenford station?

If the Black Horse was to go I'm homeless!
Greenford 'mystery' building on 17:13 - Jan 27 with 9540 viewsbatmanhoop

sometimes book into the Bridge Hotel if I stay overnight after a game. Depressingly quiet in the bar. Looks like most of the old locals have left Greenford too
Greenford 'mystery' building on 17:54 - Jan 27 with 9493 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Greenford 'mystery' building on 17:04 - Jan 27 by ballbag

Great pics by the way.

Had some good fishing sessions there, plenty of beer and plenty of gudgeon!
Greenford 'mystery' building on 17:57 - Jan 27 with 9491 viewseghamranger

Greenford 'mystery' building on 14:33 - Jan 27 by onlyrinmoray

That sports and social club has gone too. Got to house the polish somewhere round Greenford!!
Greenford 'mystery' building on 18:41 - Jan 27 with 9454 viewsDWQPR

Greenford 'mystery' building on 17:57 - Jan 27 by eghamranger

That sports and social club has gone too. Got to house the polish somewhere round Greenford!!

It is now a high school, forget the name of it but evidently it is named after the bloke who invented purple dye. One of the photos on Greenford station just shows the old 1st Greenford scout hut. Was a great troop, plenty of football, 11 and 5-a-side, air rifle, archery, crossbow and air pistol competitions, had some great fun in those days, not forgetting the annual two day fete held in Greenford Park which was opposite the old post office in Oldfield Lane.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Greenford 'mystery' building on 19:47 - Jan 27 with 9416 viewsTearsOfaClown

Greenford 'mystery' building on 16:22 - Jan 27 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Like most areas now, there are quiet a few pubs no longer open. A few more from the Greenford/Northolt/Sudbury area are:

The Lightening, Alperton Lane, currently disused site.
Oldfield Tavern, Greenford Road, Oscars nightclub attached, now flats
Red Lion, Greenford Broadway, now flats.
Sudbury Arms, Sudbury Heights Ave, now flats
Greenwood, Whitton Ave West, New intended use is a Wetherspoons, currently fenced off.

I'm sure there are plenty more to add to the list?

I remember the Oldfield in the 70's and the Disco Nights . . . trouble was it was very hard to get too from South Harrow without a car - no direct bus round and no tube - and not a nice walk home through Northolt . . . and who did taxi's in those days.

I used to go to Richmond instead - had a brilliant time in the bierkellar which was by a right fright of a place called Cheeky Petes.

The last time I went there I was mistaken for somebody else - and after a few strangers calling me by the wrong name and the barman saying "I'm surprised to see you back in here" I left before you could say "Earth Wind and Fire".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024