Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That goal 21:21 - Dec 26 with 8165 viewsgobbles

The wide-angle replay showed that the referee stopped running when the flag went up and did not signal to play-on until Billy Davies started jumping up and down and screaming.
That goal on 22:18 - Dec 26 with 2437 viewsYorkRanger

That goal on 22:17 - Dec 26 by Antti_Heinola

that's true, SOG, but in reality, in that situation, every back four in every team in the football and premier league would have stopped playing. That's not what we're all taught, but I don't think I've seen a ref overall an offside decision in decades. Certainly can't remember it if I have ever seen it. It's incredibly rare. That goal was really just bad luck - bad luck Halford didn't get a touch, bad luck Simpson didn't get a touch. It was a freak in that respect.

But moreover, to go on about that goal is irrelevant. With the flag up or down, the likelihood is Reid would have scored. Even if he hadn't, we would have been extremely likely to lose as we were unable to test their keeper apart from long range pot shots and floating corners up for him to catch with ease. The 2nd goal is a huge red herring.

Spot on
That goal on 22:30 - Dec 26 with 2408 viewsAntti_Heinola

That goal on 22:18 - Dec 26 by YorkRanger

Spot on

yeah, apart from me putting 'overall' instead of 'overrule'. What a t!t ;)

but it's true, isn't it? we'll all immediately say 'play to the whistle' but in that situation EVERYONE stops. Always.

Bare bones.

That goal on 22:41 - Dec 26 with 2389 viewsQPR_John

That goal on 21:24 - Dec 26 by nedflanders

It's irrelevant. He didn't blow his whistle. Anyone trying to blame anyone but the useless defence of ours is truly blinkered.

Not irrelevant. Because if the referee was so sure Reid received the ball without it touching the Forest player why did he stop and not gesture to play on. If he was sure no infringement had taken place it was his job to keep up with play. He clearly showed he had a doubt however small and thus was not in a position to overrule the linesman. Not excusing our players but can understand why they stopped. The bottom line is the referee awarded the goal when he showed he was not 100% sure it was legal.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2013 22:46]
That goal on 22:43 - Dec 26 with 2384 viewsparker64

What annoyed me most was it looked so amateurish. That BAE was actually running in the opposite direction as Reid ran in the other was comical and summed up the whole performance.
That goal on 22:48 - Dec 26 with 2364 viewsKernowRanger

Was Halford not interfering in play by going for the ball in the first place? Whether or not he touched it, him being there and going for the ball surely counts as influencing play?
That goal on 22:49 - Dec 26 with 2360 viewsVish

That goal on 22:09 - Dec 26 by SpiritofGregory

The ref had not blown the whistle - end of.

If the ball went out for a throw in and the Lino flagged, should they carry on until the ref blows up?

Lino called it and ref should have followed suit as there is no way the ref could be sure if Hanford did/didnt get a touch.
That goal on 22:54 - Dec 26 with 2345 viewsPeterHucker

would the ref try and pull that over-ruling the lino and allowing the goal to stand trick at Old Trafford?
having said that, we deserved to lose anyway.
Watched it in pub and when I saw Zamora starting I said to all around me "we've lost this game"
That goal on 23:01 - Dec 26 with 2331 viewsQPR1882

That goal on 22:49 - Dec 26 by Vish

If the ball went out for a throw in and the Lino flagged, should they carry on until the ref blows up?

Lino called it and ref should have followed suit as there is no way the ref could be sure if Hanford did/didnt get a touch.

The Lino was the other side of the pitch so he could not be sure either, he guessed.

The right call was made by the ref as it was a good goal, only people to blame for that goal was the pros that are paid a good wage and can't even play to the whistle.
Login to get fewer ads

That goal on 23:02 - Dec 26 with 2324 viewsAntti_Heinola

That goal on 22:48 - Dec 26 by KernowRanger

Was Halford not interfering in play by going for the ball in the first place? Whether or not he touched it, him being there and going for the ball surely counts as influencing play?

But Halford wasn't offside when the ball was played and neither was Reid. No one was offside, whether they 'influenced' anything or not is irrelevant! Had Halford been offside when the ball was played, you're right. But he wasn't.

Bare bones.

That goal on 00:02 - Dec 27 with 2269 viewsWilloW4

That goal on 21:24 - Dec 26 by nedflanders

It's irrelevant. He didn't blow his whistle. Anyone trying to blame anyone but the useless defence of ours is truly blinkered.

100 % agree... It was a perfectly legit goal... And we were shite all game.!!!
That goal on 00:05 - Dec 27 with 2263 viewsRangersAreBack

That goal on 23:02 - Dec 26 by Antti_Heinola

But Halford wasn't offside when the ball was played and neither was Reid. No one was offside, whether they 'influenced' anything or not is irrelevant! Had Halford been offside when the ball was played, you're right. But he wasn't.

Don't think we was suggesting that. Rather that Halford tried to take a touch and help it on. He did not leave the ball intentionally.
That goal on 00:09 - Dec 27 with 2258 viewsHollowayRanger

if onouha had played would we have been caught out so flat?

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

That goal on 02:08 - Dec 27 with 2206 viewshamptonhillhoop

That goal on 21:46 - Dec 26 by nedflanders

Why are you ignoring the simple fact. He didn't blow his whistle. Until he does, the game goes on. Only one person can stop the game and that's the ref. how ? By blowing the WHISTLE!! It doesn't matter what the linesman or billy fatboy Davies does??

I don't see what's so hard to understand!!!

In pretty much every game of football I've seen there's an offside where the ref doesn't see the flag for five seconds or so and the game goes on. Then he sees the flag and blows up. Once that flag went up half our defence stopped and the game should have done too. I was watching with an arsenal fan andhe was totally in agreement. Playing to the whistle doesnt come into it, the defenders saw the flag and naturally stopped as 999 times out of 1000 the whistle follows. The arsenal fan watching the game with me said generally " is the refereeing this bad every week?"
That goal on 02:16 - Dec 27 with 2198 viewsGetMeRangers

That goal on 02:08 - Dec 27 by hamptonhillhoop

In pretty much every game of football I've seen there's an offside where the ref doesn't see the flag for five seconds or so and the game goes on. Then he sees the flag and blows up. Once that flag went up half our defence stopped and the game should have done too. I was watching with an arsenal fan andhe was totally in agreement. Playing to the whistle doesnt come into it, the defenders saw the flag and naturally stopped as 999 times out of 1000 the whistle follows. The arsenal fan watching the game with me said generally " is the refereeing this bad every week?"

There were plenty in the away end screaming before he even put the goal away. 2-0 to the referee. Actually thought we had a chance of getting back into it before that farce happened. Green didnt even bother trying to save it as he saw the players stop and the flag. Joke
That goal on 06:40 - Dec 27 with 2170 viewsloftboy

That goal on 00:05 - Dec 27 by RangersAreBack

Don't think we was suggesting that. Rather that Halford tried to take a touch and help it on. He did not leave the ball intentionally.

Irrelevant as the laws of the game say " played the ball" which he didn't.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

That goal on 06:50 - Dec 27 with 2049 viewsPommyhoop

Did you all see the Sterling goal disallowed.Shocking decision that actually did have a bearing on the result.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

That goal on 07:52 - Dec 27 with 2023 viewsLblock

All this "our defence stopped" talk is confusing me

Did they ever start?

BAE is a fantastic, top, top player; that cannot be disputed; but he simply couldn't give a feck and is caught flat footed, static or out of position numerous times. He's good enough to get away with it usually but against better teams not so. I actually think since AVBs sacking he has been simply keeping his fitness up and saving 20% for the Prem

Hill and Dunne likewise great players and certainly "the right sort" in terms of charecter, but they are continually getting caught over 5 yards and more worryingly losing individual battles in the air as well as on the ground. A full back playing as striker caused them all manner of problems with his movement? A 5ft 8 David Nugent gets flick ons against them? Last time they caused problems in the oppositions box from an attacking set piece?
Our defence is where our problems start. The reason we've conceeded so few and scored naff all is due to the level of protection needed so the midfield sits so deep. In turn we don't press teams high enough, don't win back any ball in dangerous areas and are quite frankly dire to watch

The woeful passing in midfield is inexcusable. If Tom Thumb is one of England's great hopes for the future then we need FIFA to approve a Team GB quickly! If Kelvin "I'm a midfield enforcer" Henry is the right sort then God help the wrong sort. How can a man who prides himself on aggressive play be so easily out muscled bu Henry Lansbury who must give Henry 3 stone even wet through?

So so so much wrong with this squad

But we'll focus on a linos flag and listen to all this bollix about it being a long season and lots of football to be played yet

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

That goal on 08:10 - Dec 27 with 2012 viewsQPR_John

That goal on 06:40 - Dec 27 by loftboy

Irrelevant as the laws of the game say " played the ball" which he didn't.

Of course you are correct, however the linesman thought he touched the ball and the referee clearly showed, by stopping, he was at the very least unsure and as such there is no way the goal should have been allowed. Earlier on in the game the Forest keeper had taken the ball over the line for a clear corner but as neither the referee nor linesman could be sure the keeper was given the benefit of the doubt. We all know it is not what happens but what the officials see that matters.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2013 8:11]
That goal on 08:25 - Dec 27 with 1993 viewsPommyhoop

We were shite. Hamstrung by bad team selection and poor tactics. Yep we've got a mini striker crisis. Whose fault is that? We got turned inside out by a full back masquarading as a striker cos needs must. Other managers just get on with it.
But if you want to debate laws and ref stuff that deflects from our true situation .>>>>>>
Fill ya boots..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

That goal on 09:15 - Dec 27 with 1960 viewsheadhoops

That goal on 07:52 - Dec 27 by Lblock

All this "our defence stopped" talk is confusing me

Did they ever start?

BAE is a fantastic, top, top player; that cannot be disputed; but he simply couldn't give a feck and is caught flat footed, static or out of position numerous times. He's good enough to get away with it usually but against better teams not so. I actually think since AVBs sacking he has been simply keeping his fitness up and saving 20% for the Prem

Hill and Dunne likewise great players and certainly "the right sort" in terms of charecter, but they are continually getting caught over 5 yards and more worryingly losing individual battles in the air as well as on the ground. A full back playing as striker caused them all manner of problems with his movement? A 5ft 8 David Nugent gets flick ons against them? Last time they caused problems in the oppositions box from an attacking set piece?
Our defence is where our problems start. The reason we've conceeded so few and scored naff all is due to the level of protection needed so the midfield sits so deep. In turn we don't press teams high enough, don't win back any ball in dangerous areas and are quite frankly dire to watch

The woeful passing in midfield is inexcusable. If Tom Thumb is one of England's great hopes for the future then we need FIFA to approve a Team GB quickly! If Kelvin "I'm a midfield enforcer" Henry is the right sort then God help the wrong sort. How can a man who prides himself on aggressive play be so easily out muscled bu Henry Lansbury who must give Henry 3 stone even wet through?

So so so much wrong with this squad

But we'll focus on a linos flag and listen to all this bollix about it being a long season and lots of football to be played yet

This.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

That goal on 10:04 - Dec 27 with 1931 viewsQPunkR

I was really annoyed at the decision, but we could still be playing that game now and we wouldn't have scored. So it didn't make any difference to the outcome.

QPR - "shit but local"

That goal on 10:43 - Dec 27 with 1906 viewsPinnerPaul

That goal on 00:05 - Dec 27 by RangersAreBack

But Halford wasn't offside - he could do what he wanted!

Reid also on side when ball was last played by a Forest player - hence perfectly good goal.
That goal on 10:48 - Dec 27 with 1899 viewsPinnerPaul

That goal on 02:08 - Dec 27 by hamptonhillhoop

Its so rare because ref will only overrule AR if incorrect in law, which, through no fault of his own, in this case he was.

Actual procedure is technically AR signals that an offence may have been committed - referee confirms (or not) and play is stopped (or not).

AR can't stop the play, only referee can - as HR said you learn that at 6 years of age.

Very rare for offsides, but less rare when AR flags for foul and ref plays advantage - players don't stop then until ref blows whistle and should not have stopped here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024